Why Have Your Document Translated
by an Environmental Professional?
Barbara Pavlik, M.S.
A command of the source and target languages is only the first step in producing an accurate and effective technical translation. Because each sector of the environmental industry uses its own, highly specialized terminology, familiarity with these terms is essential. However, above and beyond this, a translator must understand the processes underlying the subject matter, not only in order to select the correct terms when different options are available, but also to be able to accurately convey the intended meaning in cases where no equivalent term exists (yes, it does happen). A translation that is performed without this understanding can result in errors that are costly, embarrassing, and in extreme cases, even life-threatening.
I offer my clients the best of both worlds. Fifteen years of experience and education in the environmental field combined with more than ten years as a language teacher have provided me with both the technical and linguistic know-how to produce accurate and masterful translations of environmental documents. What is a masterful translation? It is, quite simply, a translation that maintains the appropriate style and register for the intended audience while conveying all the subtle nuances of your document so precisely and so seamlessly that your readers will never suspect they are reading a translation. As a native speaker of American English living in the United Kingdom, I am able to translate your documents into either American or British English.
A Sampling of Topics from Some of My Recent Projects:
- Diploma in Translation ES>EN (Chartered Institute of Linguists, London, UK)
- M.S. in Marine Environmental Sciences (SUNY - Stony Brook, USA - 1988)
- B.S. in Geological and Geophysical Sciences (UW - Milwaukee, USA - 1986)
- 5 years as a Consulting Hydrogeologist
- 3+ years inspecting and permitting Coal Mines for the State of Colorado
- Certified Teacher of English as a Foreign Language (TEFL)
- 10 years teaching Spanish
- 2+ years teaching German
- 3 years teaching English as a Second/Foreign Language
- 2 years as a Spanish<>English Interpreter (spoken word)
- 8 years of experience in customizing Spanish language courses for industry
- 3.5 years residency in Mexico
For more details regarding these and other projects, please click HERE and scroll down to "Project History." For samples of my translations, please click HERE and scroll down to "Portfolio." For testimonials, please click HERE and HERE.
- Environment Agency Annual Report (32,492 words)
- BioGas Research & Development Program (1,282 words)
- Desalinization Plant Opening (325 words)
- Legal Aspects of Habitat Protection (415 words)
- Metallurgical Testing / Modeling / Plan of Operation for Open Pit Mine (9,834 words)
- Documentation of Inert Gas System Failure on Oil Tanker (4,035 words)
- Anti-Extractivist Youth Organization Statement of Purpose (1,958 words)
- Hailstorms in Germany (1,360 words)
- Geological Descriptions of Structural Units in the Austrian Alps (17,600 words)
- Environmental and Social Baseline Study for a Gold Mining Permit: Geomorphology, Geology, Vegetation and Landscape, Noise & Traffic (64,800 words)
- Expert Witness Reports: Impact of Oil Pipeline Construction on Fisheries (16,000 words)
- Environmental Impacts of Construction & Housing (6,100 words)
- History of Tunneling in Switzerland (1,200 words)
- Modeling of Sewer Systems and Surface Water (638 words)
- Modeling Assessment of Residual Gas Reserves (8,600 words)
- Hydrocarbon Storage Caverns (500 words)
- Decentralized Energy Web Site Localization (5,000 words)
- Hydrogeologic Database (27,500 words)
- Geologic History of the Bardenas Reales (1,100 words)
- Renaturation of the Lower Havel River (1,500 words)
- Cone Penetrometer Test Results (250 words)
- Well Completion and Maintenance Record for a Natural Gas Reservoir (700 words)
- Salt Caverns as Renewable Energy Storage Units (2,000 words)
I would be happy to talk with you about your next translation project. For a cost estimate and/or more information, please feel free to CONTACT ME.